Translate

Friday, August 31, 2012

Lupus: (aka SLE) an Autoimmune disease induced by DNA demethylation

Since discovering that a friend had to quit her promising postgraduate degree at CMU because she had lupus, I have been interested in what could possibly cause such a debilitating downfall in such a young, healthy woman - as I read the scientific literature on the subject, it became clear that at the molecular level there is a methylation defect - that is there is demethylated DNA present in the patient --- we've seen demethylated DNA in several different disease states; Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (our manuscript in press), cancer, and rheumatoid arthritis -- at a simplistic level, all these diseases have inflammation. Can demethylated DNA induce inflammation?  Does how the cell see that inflammation differ depending on the type of cell or tissue, and the epigenetic background of the patient?  I bet it does.  I could theorize forever but as action speaks louder than words...here's a paper I found today which describes the development of a novel model for Lupus (as scientists we need realistic models to test potential mechanisms and treatments) - drug induced lupus can be induced by drugs that  are known to inhibit DNA methylation, for example procainamide.  This model extends those findings and will help to further our understanding of what treatments may, if any, be able to stop the disease from progressing. 

Methods Mol Biol. 2012;900:169-80.

Murine models of lupus induced by hypomethylated T cells (DNA hypomethylation and lupus…).

Richardson B, Sawalha AH, Ray D, Yung R.

Source

University of Michigan and the Ann Arbor Veteran's Affairs Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI, USA, brichard@umich.edu.

Abstract

CD4+ T cell DNA hypomethylation may contribute to the development of drug induced and idiopathic human lupus. Inhibiting DNA methylation in mature CD4+ T cells causes MHC-specific autoreactivity in vitro. The lupus-inducing drugs hydralazine and procainamide also inhibit T cell DNA methylation and induce autoreactivity, and T cells from patients with active lupus have hypomethylated DNA and a similarly autoreactive T cell subset. Further, T cells treated with DNA methylation inhibitors demethylate the same sequences that demethylate in T cells from patients with active lupus. The pathologic significance of the autoreactivity induced by inhibiting T cell DNA methylation has been tested by treating murine T cells in vitro with drugs which modify DNA methylation, then injecting the cells into syngeneic female mice. Mice receiving CD4+ T cells demethylated by a variety of agents including procainamide and hydralazine develop a lupus-like disease. Further, transgenic mice with an inducible T cell DNA methylation defect also develop lupus-like autoimmunity. This chapter describes the protocols for inducing autoreactivity in murine T cells in vitro and for inducing autoimmunity in vivo using an adoptive transfer approach or transgenic animal models.
PMID:
22933069
[PubMed - in process]

4 comments:

  1. This is a nice blog post. The information provides here is really grate. Thanks for sharing his blog.

    Actually, Autoimmune diseases arise from an inappropriate immune response of the body against substances and tissues normally present in the body.

    I also provides natural health solution for disease prevention.

    Thanks
    Dr. James meschino

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so possible of this article. Most of the methods of transgenic animal models have been applied and published at present, which are in basic research but not in clinical stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone! my name is Noah, I'm writing this article to appreciate the good work of DR AKHIGBE that helped me recently to bring back my wife that left me for another man for the past 6 months. After seeing a comment of a woman on the internet testifying of how she was helped by DR AKHIGBE I also decided to contact him for help because all i wanted was for me to get my wife, happiness and to make sure that my child grows up with his mother 'I love my wife' Am happy today that he helped me and i can proudly say that my wife is now with me again and she is now in love with me like never before. Are you in need of any help in your relationship like getting back your man, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend or loves and family relationship.  Viewers reading my post that needs the help of DR AKHIGBE should contact him via E-mail: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com You  can also call or contact him via whatsapp +2348142454860  He also cure deadly diseases and virus with his natural herbal medicine herbs.  like
    HIV/AIDSHERPESEPILEPSYNAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEASTROKEEXTERNAL INFECTIONCANCERDIABETESCHRONIC DISEASEHEPATITIS A&B AND OTHERS. his email again:  drrealakhigbe@gmail.comnumber : +2348142454860 

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW I GOT CURED FROM LUPUS VIRUS TO 100% NEGATIVE WITH DOCTOR MOAHMMED HERBAL MEDICINE. Contact doctor MOhammed WHATSAPP/CALL +2349036036397 EMAIL herbalcure12@gmail.com
    I don't know why some people are still finding it difficult to believe that doctor Mohammed herbal medicine cure Lupus virus completely to 100% negative for ever. you have to try it and see it your self, it is an instant result and see it your self how it work, i am a living witness of the cure. i was diagnose of lupus virus 2016, the difficulties and shames was just too much for me to face, i have to discuss it with a friend of my that was cured from HERPES VIRUS through the doctor and i contact the doctor and explain my problem, he told me there is a perfect cure for LUPUS VIRUS , i have to trust him to give him a try, he ship the herbal medicine to me through dhl to my country. within the time of usage i have a great improvement and my health was perfect, after the complete usage of the herbal medicine, i notice i was cured because all the symptoms was gone completely. i went to my doctor for blood test and it confirm that i was 100% free from the LUPUS VIRUS,  so i have to share this testimony and the doctor contact so people surfing from this virus can be cure as well, contact doctor MOhammed WHATSAPP/CALL +2349036036397 EMAIL herbalcure12@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete